Why Voice Out?
Sabah has always been known for the richness of its art and music. The abundance of the untapped musical talents and the growing interest of our youths in expressing their creativity and ideas, as can be seen in national level competitions, call for more opportunities for youths to express themselves and in turn, gain knowledge, experience and exposure. As beacons of our future, the youths need to be empowered and given the encouragement that they need in order to build an aspired future generation.
It has been noted that here is a visible increase in the social problems among the youths of Sabah. Youths are easily exposed to corrupting media influences and are vulnerable to the rapid changes of today’s life. The culture of not expressing their own opinion has led to a culture of being drifted by what dictates their lives from the outside.
Pusat Belia Youth-PREP Alamesra voices out for the fourth time with Voice Out 2013. Through the event, Voice Out is able to reach youths and give them an opportunity to voice out their concerns and struggles; hopes and dream. It is also a platform for them to speak to the lives of young people in their own youthful ways. Voice Out rallies youths to bring their talents to another level, giving them the opportunity to express themselves. Along with that, we are also promoting the services and activities of YPC, JOAS and PACOS.
Voice Out aims to reach out to young people through art as its medium. The music and art piece which will be contributed by both local talents and local artists will portray the theme of cultural identity, the forgotten culture and roots of our existence.
Among some of the aspects of Voice Out which will reflect cultural identity;
1. At least one song from the singing or band performance is in a native Sabahan language or youths could use traditional instruments in their performance or it could be a song which reflects the theme.
2. Art, photography exhibition, dance, decoration during the VO will be based on the theme of cultural identity.
3. The Sindak Pangazou and Huminodun event will be held to honour young people who have contributed to society, just as the story of Huminodun who gave her life to the people.
4. Traditional costumes will be worn by some youths, and they will be going around the venue to explain the aspects of their costumes.
5. Traditional food will be sold during the event by PACOS.
6. A few traditional games will be played during the programme.
7. Some of the MCs will be talking in a native language from time to time.